SGI gives no preference to students in any particular field of study. However, students in advanced film degree programs will be held to a different standard based on specific markers. A good academic record is necessary: students are required to maintain a GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale, regardless of degree program.
Although the program does not require students to come with extensive backgrounds in film, a strong interest in film is expected, particularly an interest in exploring film as an integral part of their career or a possible career in the film industry. All full-time students earning credit toward their degree are eligible.
How Do I Receive Credit?
Students attending SGI receive academic credit one of two ways:
- Many campuses already partner with LAFSC to provide their own academic credit for this program. If your campus has a consortium agreement with LAFSC, then the credit you receive from SGI will show up on your home institution’s transcript.
- If your campus does not have a consortium agreement with SGI, you are eligible to receive transfer credit from Lipscomb University through their Master of Fine Arts in Film and Creative Media program. This option costs an additional $500.
How Do I Apply?
Simply complete an online application. Each campus makes its own policies regarding off-campus study, so you should consult your academic dean, off-campus study coordinator and/or advising faculty member at your home institution to ensure completion of all campus requirements.
Before your application can be reviewed for admission, you must submit all of the following materials:
- a completed online application form
- $50 application fee (payable by check or credit card)
- 1 faculty reference
- 1 character reference
- official transcript(s) of all college course work
- Certification Form
- Social/Behavioral Standing Verification Form
Yay! My application was accepted! Now what?
Once admitted into the program, you will be required to confirm your intent to participate by submitting a non-refundable $500 confirmation fee which will be applied toward your program tuition.
You will also be required to complete additional confirmation materials including, but not limited to waiver, liability, and medical information forms. But don't worry! We will send you all of the details and instructions upon acceptance.